This post may contain affiliate links.
If you buy something from one of the linked sites you won’t pay anything more, but I might make a commission.
[This post is sponsored by York Photo.]
Mobile phone cameras are awesome. Since I basically always have a camera with me, I have way more photos of my kids now than I did when they were babies and toddlers, since phones didn’t have cameras back when my kids were little. If I didn’t grab a “real” camera before I left the house, moments got missed and couldn’t be shared later.
But…even though I took fewer photos back then, I did more with them. I would get actual prints from a photo place, and put them in frames or in little photo albums. Conversely, now that I take more photos I do less with them. People see them on Facebook, but that’s pretty much it.
I remember how much I liked looking at pictures when I was kid, whether on someone’s wall or their mantle or in an album. I think that’s something my own kids are missing out on. So, I’ve been trying this year to get more of my photos off of my phone and computer and out into the real world.
When York Photo asked me if I wanted to try some of their products, I started looking through their site immediately. I assumed I would do a photo book (they have lots to choose from!), but then I started checking out some of the more unusual items on their site. Some of my favorites:
- Puzzle Tins – Your picture is made into a jigsaw puzzle, and put in a tin that also has the picture on it
- Glass Cutting Board – I always have a glass cutting board out on my counter. They’re not for chopping (bad for your knives!), but they’re great for making sandwiches and other assembly tasks
- Wall Clocks – I mean, what a great gift! A favorite travel photo, a child’s face, so many great pictures could go on a clock
- Phone Cases – You don’t even have to open an app to show off your pictures
- Postcard Ornament – Such a great way to combine travel with Christmas: put your travel memories on an ornament!
- Playing Cards – This is such a great Mother’s or Father’s Day gift!
- Keepsake Box – From weddings to birthdays to babies, a pretty wooden box with a ceramic picture tile on the top is a beautiful gift
- Silver Keychain – These are just beautiful
- Ties – I’m not saying that you should give a tie for Father’s Day, but if you do, make it a funny one with pictures!!
- Blankets – This may be the best grandparent gift ever
But after looking through the whole site, I became obsessed with something I’d never seen before: photos printed on metal. I decided to order a couple of those, because I thought they’d look so cool in my house!
I picked out some photos and designed my prints. It was really easy – drag and drop. You can design your own totally from scratch, or use their templates.
When my prints arrived, I was thrilled! I was blown away by how beautiful the metal panels looked. Metal gives the pictures such a great quality, almost making them come alive, especially the black & white one. I seriously want to do an entire wall of metal photos.
But then I noticed that one corner of the “Jake & Fiona” print was damaged.
I took a picture of it and wrote a quick email to customer service (they didn’t know that I’d been hired to write about them). I got an email back just a couple hours later saying that a replacement was on the way! No trouble, no packing up the damaged one and sending it back! And the perfect replacement got to me in less than 48 hours. I’m almost glad that the first one was damaged, because a good measure of a company is how they handle things when they don’t go right, and York Photo’s customer service was stellar.
I can’t wait to order more stuff from York Photo. I’m determined to get even more photos off of my devices, and into our hands and around our house.
If you liked this post, I’d really appreciate a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest!